The city was colonized after the middle of the 12th century by Saxon colonists coming from the Rhine –Mosselle territory, the first documentary mention occurring in 1191 under the name of Cibinium. Starting with 1366 the city changed its name to Hermannstadt and after 1919 the city’s name became Sibiu. For Sibiu, the medieval period represented an accelerated economic growth due to the guilds represented in the city, which were gradually replaced by manufacturing units and by small, but prosperous businesses. As a fortress, Sibiu proved to be invincible in front of the ottomans and surpassed numerous military conflicts. The city was the capital of Transylvania during the period in which the region was a Habsburg principality and, over time it was also an important ecumenical, educational and cultural center. During the more recent history, Sibiu was an important city of the Revolution, actively participating in the events of December 1989. Sibiu continues to write its own history, being a modern, European city, which had the courage and the resources to open roads and stand out through its projects.